Friday, March 19, 2010

Parents Meeting Clarification

I don't feel like I was as clear as I could have been at the meeting tonight, so I am going to attempt to clarify some of the information we discussed. Please excuse my inexperience in this area, I have been either training or coaching soccer for a little over ten years now, but this is the first time I have ever shouldered the responsibly of building a program.

The sole reason I wanted to have this meeting was to make sure everybody who is interested in playing next year knows exactly what is going on. So that everyone has the same training opportunities and the same opportunities to raise money in order to subsidize the cost of that training. It is one of my goals as a coach to continually seek out new ways to lighten the financial burden on parents by facilitating ways for my players to earn money on their own. We chose these fundraisers specifically because most of them are multi purpose fundraisers, not only do they bring money into our program, they also increase soccer knowledge in our community, and they provide more opportunities for the girls to play soccer through out the year.

With that said let me try to simplify the fundraising situation. I expect all of the players that played for me last year to help out with all of the team fundraisers (Reffing, the Youth Clinic, the 3v3 tournament, and the yard sale). This money will go into our team account to pay for our uniforms, sweats, bags, and any team bonding or extras that we do at the beginning of the season. If for some reason the returning players are unable to attend at least two of the three *new team fundraisers they will have to pay for their own sweats. The freshmen/new athletes are not expected to help out with these fundraisers, but they are more than welcome to if they so desire.

The individual fundraisers are the Little Caesar's fundraiser and reffing. Reffing is open to everyone, but only the returning players are required to do two for the team. I know this sounds unfair, but I believe in "paying it forward". Someone last year did the work for this year's freshman to receive all of the little perks of participation, so now it is their turn to return the favor for the upcoming freshman and so on and so forth. If the girls are motivated, I believe these two fundraisers can pay for all of the upcoming camp and high school participation expenses.

I realize that we have scheduled a lot of things through out the year, but I believe that the only way we will be competitive once we get into state is if we can get more soccer knowledge into our community and if we can provide more opportunities for the girls to play soccer through out the year. Manti High School has a fantastic softball program that has been not only competitive year in and year out, but has competed for and won multiple state championships. There are many factors that have to add up to create a program like this. The softball team has a very dedicated coaching staff, great feeder programs, and tremendous community support. I look up to these coaches in many ways and hope that I may help create a girls soccer program at Manti High School that can experience some of that same success, as well as provide the players with wonderful memories and long lasting friendships. The only way this can happen is with your continued support. I am so excited for this season! I can't wait to meet all the new girls and their families. Thank you!

Coach Eleshia Steinfeldt

*Youth Clinic, 3v3 tournament, and the yard sale.


 

No comments: